[OE-core] rm_work + pybootchart enhancements

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:08:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 05:39:02PM +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Hello!
>
> rm_work.bbclass currently isn't good enough for use in really tightly
> constrained environments. For example, building core-image-sato with
> 20GB of free disk space should work (final disk usage with rm_work
> active: <13GB). But in practice, that disk space gets exhausted in the
> middle of a build because do_rm_work doesn't run often and/or soon
> enough.

I agree that it could use some improvements, but I'm using simple work
around for this - building whole image in couple steps which forces
rm_work being executed often enough to fit WORKDIR in e.g. 14G tmpfs

something like:
bitbake gcc && bitbake console-image && bitbake webkit && bitbake bigger-image

> Test script attached. I only ran this once, so I can't vouch that the
> numbers are stable. I remember reading about a benchmark wrapper which
> can run such a test script multiple times and then will automatically
> merge the output of all runs together, adding min/max/average/deviation,
> but couldn't find the tool again. Does anyone know which tool does that?

it's in oe-core:
./scripts/contrib/bb-perf/bb-matrix-plot.sh
./scripts/contrib/bb-perf/bb-matrix.sh