[OE-core] Fwd: Recipe [patch] modification to generate a static library instead of shared library

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Apr 5 15:48:53 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 10:33 -0500, Matthew McClintock wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Ravi chandra reddy <vlsireddy at gmail.
> com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >           I am using meta-oe to generate libxml2 library using
> > AARCH64
> > compiler. However it generates shared object [.so] library.
> >
> > is there any setting in recipe to modify this, to generate static
> > library
> > [instead of shared library]
> >
> > if so, please point me to the recipe/file to change.
> >
> > if not, i will try to add it as patch, plz point me to appropriate
> > files to
> > change
> Is the ${PN}-staticdev package getting generated for you?

Its possible you have conf/distro/include/no-static-libs.inc included
in your build (bitbake -e would tell you).

If so, you could remove that include or set:

DISABLE_STATIC = ""

as it would currently be set to this if that include file is included:

DISABLE_STATIC = " --disable-static"

We tend not to build static libraries as they're a waste of space/time
on the most part.