[OE-core] scripts/rpm2cpio.sh -- master version

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Apr 7 14:12:56 UTC 2017

The change to the rpm4 version of rpm2cpio.sh has triggered a problem on a few
of our older build machines.  Specifically:

dd: invalid input flag: `skip_bytes'
Try `dd --help' for more information.

I was doing some investigation, and the line causing the issue is:

    dd if="$pkg" skip="$o" iflag=skip_bytes status=none $*

The old code did the same thing using:

    dd if=$pkg ibs=$o skip=1" 2>/dev/null

It appears that 'iflag' is GNU specific.  Generally not a big deal, but the
specific flag 'skip_bytes' is new with in the last couple years.  The code is
almost not supported on non-GNU systems, so could pose problems on non-Linux
hosts [not a problem today].

I'm wondering if we should look at modifying this script to use the older style
for better compatibility with older hosts?

--Mark