[OE-core] openssl10 unusable for many components

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:46:57 UTC 2017

The qtbase was just an example, the link with the last report:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2017-August/140829.html

shows that instead of 5 failures reported in previous one:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2017-August/114108.html

we have around 40 failures (numbers differs for different MACHINEs) and
that's probably far from complete list of failing recipes, because many
recipes weren't built at all, because one of their dependencies failed
already.

I meant "real-world" as builds for any products on the market (which are
likely using one of the failing recipes) - e.g. in LGE we have many more
failures over all internal components, so I'll just undo this openssl
switch (renaming openssl_1.1 as openssl11 and openssl11_1.0 back as
openssl_1.0 with PROVIDES openssl11). We won't be able to use openssl-1.1
for long time anyway, because there are some 3rd party component which are
difficult (or expensive) to get rebuilt against new openssl ABI, but we
might be interested in some other improvements in oe-core/master.

I'm not saying that oe-core should be blocked until the oldest and slowly
moving project is updated to be compatible with it, just keep in mind that
"real-world" products are far more complicated than keeping oe-core
autobuilder green and that some companies might see it as blocker for
upgrading to newer oe-core.

Regards,