[OE-core] Fwd: kernel-yocto class requires BSP definition now

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:08:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Bruce Ashfield <
> bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
>
>> Already discussed with Khem and Richard in the original
>> thread.
>>
>> I'm sending another patch shortly to back this off to a note/warning.
>>

> That is nice but wouldn't that clutter the build logs for no reason? For
> people who don't take advantage of scc definitions that is. Could you point
> me to the initial discussion? Just want to understand and maybe vote to
> remove it altogether.

It's a yocto bug. We need to flag BSP definitions that aren't valid,
otherwise the tools
will end up building things like qemuarm for someone that has a
misconfigured BSP.

If you don't have a defconfig (as someone won't have if they are using a
fully defined
BSP, but with the wrong name) and the wrong entry point, or no entry point,
is returned
we have to flag it.

The actual bug is: 11878, and there's a related fallout of that bad
definition.

So no, it won't be deleted, but I will make it check for a few more
parameters before
erroring or logging.

Bruce

--
"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"