[OE-core] ✗ patchtest: failure for Avoid build failures due to setscene errors

Peter Kjellerstedt peter.kjellerstedt at axis.com
Wed Aug 30 07:41:47 UTC 2017

Actually, would it be possible to get a better error message that
indicates that one has mixed in patches for other projects that are
part of Poky? When working with Poky as the basis, differentiating
between, e.g., bitbake and OE-Core is not something that comes
natural. I actually had to think both once and twice before I
realized that one of my patches was actually for bitbake (and just
barely stopped me in time from sending an irritated mail about why
patchtest wasn't accepting my changes).

> > Argh, why can't this handle combined bitbake and OE-Core changes,
> > i.e., changes for Poky. Oh well, separate patches coming up...
>
> Because poky isn't the upstream project.
>
> Philip

Well, I know that. However, I doubt we are the only ones who use Poky
as the base for our distribution. Thus Poky is our de facto upstream.
So when working on a change that affects both BitBake, OE-Core and
maybe even the OE documentation (none of which is uncommon), having
to split the changes in multiple stacks and keeping track of them
together over multiple projects is not very encouraging, especially
when Poky is distributed as a unit.

I am not asking for this to change, but it would have been nice to be
able to treat Poky as an upstream and to deliver changes that span the
individual projects as one set of changes against Poky.

//Peter