[OE-core] Yocto Project Status WW50’17

Jolley, Stephen K stephen.k.jolley at intel.com
Mon Dec 11 15:46:20 UTC 2017

Current Dev Position: YP 2.5 M2 development

Next Deadline: YP 2.5 M2 cut off of 1/15/18

SWAT team rotation: Tracy -> Stephano on Dec. 8, 2017.

SWAT team rotation: Stephano -> Maxin on Dec. 15, 2017.

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

·        The morty hang has been traced to a uninative glibc incompatibility issue and there is a fix merged. Other releases are not affected as recipe specific sysroots doesn’t have the issue. We also figured out the eSDK failures are also uninative related and this fix does affect all releases including master. This means morty should be unblocked and a point release able to head to QA soon.

·        The rocko point release build is now in QA.

·        The master/mut/master-next failures were tracked down to:

o   an issues with the elf image type removal

o   a buggy upgrade of i2c-tools

o   a kernel upgrade which broke automated testing

o   a problem with multilib and PREFERRRED_RPROVIDER

o   a determinism problem in bitbake itself in providers.py (only when PREFERRED_*PROVIDER wasn’t set)

·        The kvm apic hang appears to resolve when “echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches” is triggered, suggesting it’s a kernel memory fragmentation issue (making two different kvm memory fragmentation issues we have).

·        We found the drop_caches trip also helps with the other kvm ENOMEM issue we were seeing too. We have this automated on the autobuilders but it's currently frequent enough to avoid the apic hangs.

·        Patches for M1 have merged although I’m aware we have a long backlog. We will likely make an M1 build and then handle the majority of the queue in M2. M1 isn’t being rushed as QA are busy with 2.4.1 (rocko point release).

Planned upcoming dot releases:

YP 2.4.1 (Rocko) rc1 is in QA.  See https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/2.4_QA_Status.

YP 2.2.3 (Morty) is planned and should build sometime after YP 2.5 M1 is sent to QA.

YP 2.3.3 (Pyro) is planned for sometime after YP 2.2.3 is done.

Key YP 2.5 Dates are:

YP 2.5 M1 cut off of 12/4/17 (Should build this week.)

YP 2.5 M1 release of 12/15/17 (Will be later this month.)

YP 2.5 M2 cut off of 1/15/18

YP 2.5 M2 release of 1/26/18

YP 2.5 M3 cut off of 2/19/18

YP 2.5 M3 release of 3/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 cut off of 4/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 release of 4/27/18

Tracking Metrics:

            WDD 2690 (last week 2687)

(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.5_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Features

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley
Yocto Project Program Manager
INTEL, MS JF1-255, 2111 N.E. 25th Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
•   Work Telephone:        (503) 712-0534
•    Cell:                              (208) 244-4460
• Email:                            stephen.k.jolley at intel.com