[OE-core] MS Windows machine?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Dec 21 11:39:24 UTC 2017

On 21 December 2017 at 09:54, Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch-fe.de> wrote:

> On 21.12.2017 10:08, Burton, Ross wrote:
> > On 21 December 2017 at 06:40, Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch-fe.de>
> wrote:
> >> Anyone tried to cross-compile for MS Windows target with Yocto/OE?
> >
> > Yes, see meta-mingw.
>
> A misunderstanding?
>
> I like to build *for* MS Windows, not *at* MS Windows.

"OpenEmbedded meta layer for mingw based SDKs"

Running bitbake on Windows isn't possible.  It's getting closer with the
new Subsystem for Linux thing but that's not ready yet.

meta-mingw lets you build SDKs *for* Windows.  We've used it to build cross
compilers that run on Windows that generate Linux binaries.

If you want to build for a Windows target then that should be possible but
nobody as far as I'm aware has made the work public.  meta-mingw will
contain most of the changes needed as that does build Windows binaries.

Ross