[OE-core] possible consequences of adding "extraneous" layers to a build?

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:08:30 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> i understand that a layer can do pretty much *anything*, what i was
> more interested in is what it *shouldn't* do unless it comes with huge
> warning signs telling you about it. as a more concrete example, if
> someone says, "hey, i have this great new layer that provides all
> sorts of cool recipes," i'd want to to know that i can add it to
> bblayers.conf and, unless i explicitly choose to start using content
> from it, it shouldn't quietly change my current build.

The priority of recipes within the layers (ie BBFILE_PRIORITY_xxx)
gives a good indication of that. Layers which just provide cool news
recipes (ie fill in gaps in oe-core) generally have a priority lower
than or equal to oe-core. BSP or distro layers (which often need to
over-ride or modify stuff in oe-core) generally have a priority higher
than oe-core. You should be very cautious about adding new distro or
BSP layers to your build.