[OE-core] Recipe specific sysroot: handling recipes creating same files

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Mon Feb 20 21:46:29 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 17:08 +0000, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 19 February 2017 at 22:04, Andreas Müller
> <schnitzeltony at googlemail.com> wrote:
>         This needs love: One can guess that libldb is trying to
>         install stuff
>         already there - nothing mentions samba and the error pops up
>         for gvfs
>         which does nothing really wrong. I consider this as bug
>         introduced by
>         RSS.
>
> Yes: without RSS this would result in a fatal error when the second
> recipe wrote to the sysroot.  Can you file a bug?

So it is still considered an error when two recipes produce the same
file?

One (IMHO valid) use-case for allowing this are configuration packages.
You could have a /etc/motd packaged in foo-motd and another in bar-motd
with different content, and then build different images where a suitable
motd config package is added.

With a single sysroot, one had to introduce alternatives, which is more
complicated and introduces unnecessary symlinks in read-only images.
With RSS, it is possible more easily.

Having said that, the error report generated when files overlap in the
same real sysroot definitely needs to be improved.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.