[OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] OE-Core/Yocto Project's first CVE (CVE-2017-9731)

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 20 13:43:43 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 3:27:15 PM CEST you wrote:
> On 2017-06-20 04:30 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> >>
> >> That sounds reasonable, although, TBH, if someone is adding credentials
> >> to their SRC_URIs, I would expect that a best practice would be ignored.
> >>  Perhaps adding a detection routine that emitted a warning during
> >> parsing for credentials in the SRC_URI might be warranted?  Thoughts?
> >
> > This might be useful yes. I think the stumbling block is that at the
> > moment we would have to have it off by default and then the user is almost
> > certainly not going to know to turn it on. Perhaps this is another thing
> > that we might check in a "production" vs. "development" mode where the
> > user can easily switch to the former to enable a set of more stringent
> > checks.
>
> I'm not sure I follow.  What would prevent us from turning on a warning
> that detected credentials in a SRC_URI by default?  Even with Richard's
> change to prevent the information from propagating into the .ipk, it
> seems useful to notify the user.  Personally, I'd like to know if one of
> the recipes I'm using has such information in it regardless of whether
> I'm generating a development or a production image.

You might, sure, but if you're in an environment where during development your
source is on a server requiring such credentials then it's going to be a bit
annoying to keep seeing that warning.

Anyway, there's certainly no harm in adding such a check, whether it's on by
default or not is a separate issue.

Cheers,
Paul

--