[OE-core] ARC arch support: uClibc status ?

Mylene Josserand mylene.josserand at free-electrons.com
Fri Jun 23 13:23:44 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

We are currently adding to Yocto project the Synopsys ARC CPU
architecture, which is only available with uClibc library.

We currently have a layer which adds the support of this architecture
and uClibc support as it is, now, removed from OE-core.

Many configurations/fixes are needed in OpenEmbedded-core's recipes to
build successfully with this C library (library's dependencies,
autotools configuration, etc).

We wanted to send patches to fix them but it seems that all uClibc's
references are now removed from OE-core, even in recipes:

https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/140943/
https://patches.openembedded.org/patch/140906/

What is the status of it? Remove entirely uClibc from OE-core?
Could you give us advice on how to handle uClibc?  Should we create a
"meta-uclibc" layer which adds support of it + bbappend for all the
OE-core's recipes that currently fail because of uClibc's misconfiguration?

I guess that there is no plan to add uClibc's configuration in OE-core's
recipes (even without uClibc itself), right?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

--
Mylène Josserand, Free Electrons