[OE-core] util-linux: Multiple alternatives issues preventing clean upgrades

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Wed Mar 1 14:22:10 UTC 2017

I am using opkg for package management, and before moving to a more recent branch (currently on dizzy) I'm doing some firmware upgrade tests to make sure I have a clean upgrade process.  For my testing I flash an image using our current production image and then do firmware upgrade from the command line by doing "opkg update; opkg upgrade --download-only; opkg upgrade" and checking what errors pop up.  I am currently testing upgrading to the jethro branch and I am seeing some errors in regards to util-linux.  I see the following errors during upgrade:

* check_data_file_clashes: Package util-linux-sulogin wants to install file /sbin/sulogin.util-linux
        But that file is already provided by package  * util-linux
update-alternatives: Error: cannot register alternative readprofile to /usr/sbin/readprofile since it is already registered to /sbin/readprofile
* pkg_run_script: package "util-linux-readprofile" postinst script returned status 1.
* opkg_configure: util-linux-readprofile.postinst returned 1.

The first error I traced down to being related to this commit: http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/meta/recipes-core/util-linux?h=jethro&id=4bde182ed236243547929dd98763f1c09eddd097

The second error I traced down to being related to this commit: http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/meta/recipes-core/util-linux?h=jethro&id=43424eb3c8bf03a2f9ec331b78dd4040dd39eacd

I know this is all related to alternatives, but that's about as far as my knowledge extends in this area.  Yes, everything is running okay but I'd like to clean up problems like this if possible.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what would need to change in the util-linux recipe to clean up these errors?

Thanks,
Bryan