[OE-core] Create more than one image with WIC

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Mar 15 15:04:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-03-15 at 16:01 +0200, Ed Bartosh wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 02:41:34PM +0100, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > >

> > It does, and it should by default because a rootfs can be quite large.
> > If it's not going to be reused in another recipe, then it is worthwhile
> > to remove it.
> This is true unless we're going to use wic as a stand-alone tool, which some
> people still do.
>
> > I should add that RM_WORK_EXCLUDE_ITEMS += "rootfs" can be used in image
> > recipes which know that their rootfs is going to be needed elsewhere -
> > it's just not the default.
>
> Isn't rootfs going to be rebuilt if one rootfs recipe depends on another one?

No, that's now how it works. Suppose there's a
image-a:do_image_wic->image-b:do_rootfs task dependency. That dependency
ensures that image-b:do_rootfs runs before image-a:do_image_wic. But it
does not delay image-b:do_rm_work until image-a:do_image_wic is done.

That could be fixed by also adding a
image-b:do_rm_work->image-a:do_image_wic dependency. As I said,
something that works out of the box for this use case would be nice...
we can't expect developers to figure all of this out themselves.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.