[OE-core] any necessity for MACHINEOVERRIDES in mpc8315e-rdb.conf?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 16 11:23:38 UTC 2017

  (yet more pedantry, but when i try to explain stuff like this to
students, it's nice to know what i'm talking about.)

  i notice the following excerpts from YP's mpc8315e-rdb.conf:

  KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = "uImage"
  UBOOT_MACHINE_mpc8315e-rdb = "MPC8315ERDB_config"
  KERNEL_DEVICETREE = "mpc8315erdb.dtb"

what is the purpose (if any) for the "mpc8315e-rdb" override in the
line:

  UBOOT_MACHINE_mpc8315e-rdb = "MPC8315ERDB_config"
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

given that this is a machine config file for a specific target,
"mpc8315e-rdb", wouldn't this suffice?

  UBOOT_MACHINE = "MPC8315ERDB_config"

of course, having that MACHINEOVERRIDES wouldn't hurt, but it seems
superfluous, and it's also inconsistent with other variable settings
in that file that don't use it, which is *exactly* what confuses the
heck out of beginners.

  thoughts? am i missing something? other machine config files don't
seem to need it:

  UBOOT_MACHINE = "am335x_boneblack_config"

rday

p.s. i apologize for being such an annoying pedant all the time, but
little inconsistencies like this are exactly what some of my students
notice, and ask about, and i end up looking at it, going, "i haven't
the foggiest idea what the heck that's all about." hence my obsession
with consistency.

                        http://crashcourse.ca