[OE-core] another design question -- proper (meaningful) content of recipe patches?

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Wed Mar 22 13:27:54 UTC 2017

On 03/22/2017 03:22 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   in any event, i can appreciate the value of sometimes adding
> numbering to patches to enforce a processing order, but when one has a
> numbered series of patches getting up to 20 or 25, that strikes me as
> time to collapse all that into larger and more modular and more
> meaningful patches.
>
>   thoughts?

Why are the patches not in the upstream git repo or tarball release? If
the upstream is refusing to take it, then someone needs to fork a repo,
and place all those patches there, and drop them from the recipe.

Otherwise it will be a tremendous maintenance headache each time that
patch series needs to be rebased to a new upstream release. But whoever
wrote the recipe that way basically asked for it, no pity for them :)

Alex