[OE-core] design question: should layer.conf contain "PREFERRED_VERSION" settings?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Mar 22 16:32:01 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-03-22 at 15:44 +0000, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 22 March 2017 at 14:59, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfounda
> tion.org> wrote:
> > What should happen is that the openstack recipe should complain
> > loudly
> > (error) if anyone tried to build it (or parse it?) with anything
> > except
> > the versions its known to work with.
> >
> Is this a good time to bring up versions in DEPENDS?

Yes. I'd swear there was a bug for this but I can't find it. I know we
made versions able to be added to DEPENDS without parse failures, its
just a question of getting bitbake to parse them.

> It would be awesome to automatically set PREFERRED_VERSION as
> appropriate depending on the constrains in DEPENDS, but I'd be really
> happy with errors if the versions specified were not selected.
>
> So in this case openstack could do DEPENDS=python-something (>4.0)
> and bitbake would error out if python-something v3 is being built.

I don't think setting PREFERRED_VERSION magically would be good but I
do like the rest of the idea, its always been the intent really...

Someone needs to file a bug...