[OE-core] design question: should layer.conf contain "PREFERRED_VERSION" settings?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:02:57 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com>
wrote:

> On 22 March 2017 at 14:59, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@
> linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> What should happen is that the openstack recipe should complain loudly
>> (error) if anyone tried to build it (or parse it?) with anything except
>> the versions its known to work with.
>>

> Is this a good time to bring up versions in DEPENDS?
>
> It would be awesome to automatically set PREFERRED_VERSION as appropriate
> depending on the constrains in DEPENDS, but I'd be really happy with errors
> if the versions specified were not selected.
>
> So in this case openstack could do DEPENDS=python-something (>4.0) and
> bitbake would error out if python-something v3 is being built.

That would be ideal, and it was actually something I tried in the past. But
it was causing
issues with some package backends, so most of those specifics had to be
dropped.

The details are fuzzy, but I could data mine my email if needed.

Bruce

--
"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"