[OE-core] ✗ patchtest: failure for "liberation-fonts: update to 2...." and 4 more

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu May 4 10:07:09 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 9:33:02 PM NZST Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 12:43 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Thursday, 4 May 2017 1:31:52 AM NZST Patchwork wrote:
> >> * Issue             Series sent to the wrong mailing list
> > [test_target_mailing_list]
> >>   Suggested fix    Send the series again to the correct mailing list (ML)
> >>   Suggested ML     poky at yoctoproject.org [http://git.yoctoproject.org/
cgit/
> > cgit.cgi/poky/]
> >
> > Leo - looks like this is another false positive.
>
> Actually, no - one of the patches accidentally included a file from
> meta-poky. Still, could be reported better:
>
> 1) Should refer to a specific patch where the issue is
> 2) Should, if possible, refer to specific files in the patch that are
> causing the problem.

Right, agreed on both counts. I guess we were trying to catch the more common
case of people sending entire patchsets to the wrong list.

> 3) The problem is not the wrong mailing list, the problem is that the
> patch should be splitted up and sent to several lists :)

The question is can an automated tool tell the difference? I guess even if it
can't though we can be honest about that in the message i.e. "Wrong mailing
list, or incorrectly split patch" or something like that.

> In general, why run these checks after the patches have been already
> posted for review? That is adding unnecessary friction. Why not have
> them as a git hook, that is run locally when making the commit?

The original idea was that the tests could also be run from your local machine
(could easily be as a git hook), and whilst it's not as easy as I might have
liked it is doable - however even if it were much easier, we have to be
realistic and acknowledge that most people still won't do it.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton