[OE-core] ✗ patchtest: failure for "liberation-fonts: update to 2...." and 4 more

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu May 4 10:32:48 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 10:16:36 PM NZST Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 01:07 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > The original idea was that the tests could also be run from your local
machine
> > (could easily be as a git hook), and whilst it's not as easy as I might
have
> > liked it is doable - however even if it were much easier, we have to be
> > realistic and acknowledge that most people still won't do it.
>
> I thought default git hooks can be enforced by the remote repo when you
> do a clone, no?

On the client side, no, you can't set up hooks as part of a clone - I assume
this is for security reasons if nothing else. You could add a hook on the
server side, but that carries its own penalty - it means that the hook needs
to run synchronous with the operation (e.g. push). Whilst the patchtest tests
aren't supposed to take too long, it's not hard to imagine they could take a
minute or two, and that is going to be somewhat infuriating especially with
the amount of WIP stuff that people (quite legitimately) push to the contrib
repos which shouldn't be evaluated at all. Besides, not everyone uses the
contrib repos.

Cheers,
Paul

--