[OE-core] GUI based images

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon May 8 11:43:42 UTC 2017

On 8 May 2017 at 12:33, Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen at intel.com> wrote:

> Sato is extremely lightweight (not just runtime-wise but with regards to
> build time and maintenance effort). I admit I'm not familiar with LXDE but
> other DEs known as lightweight are in reality on another level compared to
> Sato... Sato projects themselves are tiny and depend on very little: this
> is quite beneficial since it keeps the automated test runtimes reasonable.

Also Sato works on a wide range of devices: if you have a 30" monitor with
a keyboard/mouse, or a 4" touchscreen, it is still usable.  It's not
optimal on anything, but it's functional on everything.  Put LXDE on a 4"
capacitive touchscreen and you'll probably have trouble getting anything to
start.

Obviously if you're happy to say "I target desktop users" then there's
meta-gnome, meta-xfce, and so on.

Ross