[OE-core] GUI based images

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Tue May 9 11:17:35 UTC 2017

On 09-05-17 10:44, Alex J Lennon wrote:

>>> FWIW I think this is a little short-sighted. Why are we ruling out Qt exactly?
>>
>> We would first have to agree that Qt5 belongs in oe-core with appropriate
>> level of maintenance and QA, and that it's okay to add half an hour or more
>> to the building time of a standard GUI image.
>>
>> From the screenshots of LxQT, it looks like yet another Win95 clone meant
>> strictly for desktop use that would certainly scale poorly to small
>> resolution screens. Who would be the target audience for it in the embedded
>> space? For the purposes of 'engineering UI', Sato is fine, and we don't need
>> something else.
>>
>> Alex
>
> fwiw. I would love to be able to develop devices like those pictured below,
> which I believe are based on Qt for Device Creation.
>
> https://d33sqmjvzgs8hq.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/devices.png

Things like that can be cooked up in OE using just meta-qt4 (or 5, but haven't
tried yet) and a main application recipe (just a QT project that you develop
on your desktop) that inherits qt4e.

Qt doesn't need X11, saving big on build and boot time.

A Zynq demo running QT on a plain framebuffer boots in about 7 seconds (from
NOR flash) into the fully functional GUI, on a 10" touch panel, and all of it
fits in about 20MB flash storage.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert