[OE-core] GUI based images

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Wed May 10 09:31:10 UTC 2017

On 05/10/2017 12:03 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Your opinion is noted. My opinion is that we ought to be providing a good
> reference that can be used as a basis for real products (regardless of whether
> whatever direction we choose to go is Qt-based or not) - the rest of our stack
> *is* used that way, after all. We regularly get comments about how Sato isn't
> suitable as such a basis, so the expectation is there. I don't think adding
> Wayland support alone will answer that.

Paul, I do believe specifics matter, and I'm not seeing much of that in
this discussion :-(

No one has yet provided any idea what this reference UI would try to
achieve other than it 'being a basis for real products'. This is far too
vague. Is it a tablet style UI with app launcher, and status bar,
similar to Sato? Or is it a collection of mutually exclusive fullscreen
apps that somehow showcase common embedded use cases? Please help me
understand this.

Then there's the question of who's going to do the heavy lifting.
Are we writing, testing and maintaining our own, and if so, who has time
for it? Or is there some off-the-shelf thing that would fit, and that
has miraculously escaped our attention until now?

Alex