[OE-core] eudev: opkg not automatically upgrading from udev to eudev

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Tue May 16 18:01:17 UTC 2017

I have an image based on core-image-minimal that uses sysvinit for init and opkg for package management.  I am doing some upgrade testing and I see an issue with eudev.  I am testing upgrading an image that was built under dizzy to my latest image built under morty.  I'm first testing that all the correct packages and new dependencies are correctly being identified for upgrade by running "opkg update; opkg upgrade --download-only" from the command line and comparing what is in the opkg cache directory with what was available.  All packages except eudev and udev-cache are being downloaded for upgrade.

I ran the opkg upgrade again with the -V4 option for additional debug output  Here's what I saw in one section regarding udev:

pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Best installation candidate for udev:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: apkg=udev nprovides=2.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Adding eudev to providers.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Adding udev to providers.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: eudev arch=armv5e arch_priority=41 version=3.2.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: udev arch=arm926ejste arch_priority=51 version=182.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Candidate: udev 182.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: 2 matching pkgs for apkg=udev:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: eudev 3.2 armv5e
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: udev 182 arm926ejste
opkg_upgrade_pkg: Comparing visible versions of pkg udev:
        182-r9.9 is installed
        182-r9.9 is available
        0 was comparison result
opkg_upgrade_pkg: Package udev (182-r9.9) installed in root is up to date.

I'm assuming the problem is that udev is version 182 and eudev is version 3.2 and that opkg doesn't think udev needs to be upgraded.  Is there an RDEPENDS that needs to be added somewhere so opkg sees that it needs to upgrade udev to eudev?

Thanks,
Bryan