[OE-core] automatic recipe upgrades - making them better and sweeter

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 7 15:20:18 UTC 2017

On 11/06/2017 10:04 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>> 3) 'devtool finish' currently does not handle the recipe upgrade
>> situation well: the new recipe and patches are placed side by side with
>> the current recipe. The old stuff should be removed, and a tentative
>> commit should be created. So maybe add a 'devtool finish-upgrade'.
>
> That's not what's supposed to happen - it should already be deleting the
> original files (it takes a record of the copied files when you run devtool
> upgrade, and then when you run devtool finish it deletes those and moves the
> new ones across from the workspace). If that's not working it's a bug and I
> would appreciate a reproducer. I'd certainly prefer that we keep to one finish
> command that does its best to "do the right thing" depending on the situation.

For me it happens every time. I run 'devtool finish <recipe> ../meta'
and while the new files are placed into the correct dir in the layer,
the old ones all remain (which is especially annoying if I then need to
manually sort the added/deleted patch files).

Can you run a quick check to see if it happens on your side? Something
trivial, like ffmpeg would do. I can then file a bug.

Also, there shouldn't be a need to specify the destination at all, if
the recipe is modified or upgraded.

Alex