[OE-core] EGL (in XWayland) and NULLWS

Adam Lee adam.yh.lee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 16:09:14 UTC 2017

Hello, I am not 100% sure if this is the right mailing list, but I will
give it a try.

My Xwayland (x11 and Wayland in DISTRO_FEATURES) environment is not
providing the right X11 environment for my (legacy) X11 application.

In the platform definition file (/usr/include/EGL/eglplatform.h), there are
a set of definitions for a few platforms including X11:

    /* X11 (tentative)  */
    #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    #include <X11/Xutil.h>

    typedef Display *EGLNativeDisplayType;
    typedef Pixmap   EGLNativePixmapType;
    typedef Window   EGLNativeWindowType;

However on my system fall back is used:

    /* NULLWS fallback */

    #if defined(_WIN64) ||  __WORDSIZE == 64
    typedef khronos_int64_t EGLNativeDisplayType;
    #else
    typedef int EGLNativeDisplayType;
    #endif

    typedef void*   EGLNativePixmapType;
    typedef void*   EGLNativeWindowType;

As evidenced below:

    type = int
    (gdb) whatis EGLNativeDisplayType
    type = int
    (gdb) whatis EGLNativeWindowType
    type = void *

I am not versed with EGL / X11 API, but I believe this may be happening
because my graphics stack (TI's AM57xx SoC with SGX) only supports Wayland,
and not X11, out of the box.
It appears that X11 is supported by another package (XSGX) from TI, but I
don't believe using XSGX is the solution here as it is no longer endorsed
as the default in TI SDK.

Now I should also note that the platform definition
(/usr/include/eglplatform.h) does not have an entry for Wayland. I see
Win32, WinCE, X11 and the NULLWS fallback.

Given the context of running X11 applications via XWayland, X11 is still
the right platform definitions, and not NULLWS in my opinion.
If so, how do I correct this problem?

Any tips will be appreciated,

Adam