[OE-core] About auto-upgrade-helper's enhancement

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Nov 30 03:27:59 UTC 2017

Hi Robert,

FYI Anibal has left Intel; the AUH is now being worked on by Alex Kanavin (on
CC).

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 3:23:25 PM NZDT Robert Yang wrote:
> I tried auto-upgrade-helper, it is very helpful when upgrade recipes.
> I'd like to make some enhancements to make it can be easily used by the
> maintainer (recipe upgrader) himself:
> 1) Don't send email when maintainer uses it, for example, when I want to
>     upgrade "strace", I don't need it send email to anyone.
> 2) Use git's user.name and user.email in git commit when not send email,
>     we need let the maintainer take responsible for it.

It's probably not just about not sending email - manually running the script
without sending email is also useful when testing the AUH script during
development so we'd need to switch usage of the git user/email a different
way, but otherwise yes this seems reasonable. Probably we would just have some
kind of local-only mode, possibly that's made the default (or can be
configured to be).

> 3) Do the commit on the recipes when the upgrade is succeed, currently,
>     it keeps the commit when failed, but removed it when succeed.

No problem as long as it doesn't interfere with automated operation on the
server.

> 4) Make upgradehelper.py can accept multiple recipes as args.

Seems reasonable yes.

> 5) It's a small tool and helpful when upgrade recipes, can we move it into
>     oe-core/scripts, please ?

So for manual (or should I say semi-automatic) recipe upgrades, our primary
tool is "devtool upgrade" - at the moment it is true that there are things
that the AUH can do that devtool upgrade can't (e.g. auto-detecting the latest
upstream version, handling LIC_FILES_CHKSUM, etc.), but I believe Alex will be
working on some of those and then will be moving the AUH to use devtool
upgrade itself so that we don't have two codebases for the same task. We don't
plan to deprecate manual usage of the AUH, but if there are use cases that
devtool upgrade cannot currently handle, then assuming they fit I would like
to handle them there first and point most users at devtool upgrade rather than
manually running the AUH, since devtool upgrade is much more suited to
enabling the work that follows on when an upgrade cannot be completed
automatically.

Have you looked at devtool upgrade at all?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton