[OE-core] Recipe versions and layer confusion

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Sat Oct 7 09:15:22 UTC 2017

On 06-10-17 00:10, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Leonardo Sandoval
> <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 10:19:18 -0500
>> Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Yes. The comments in bitbake/lib/bb/providers.py -> findBestProvider()
> explain the process pretty well:
>
>    If there is a PREFERRED_VERSION, find the highest-priority bbfile
>    providing that version.  If not, find the latest version provided by
>    an bbfile in the highest-priority set.
>
> The only caveat is that if PREFERRED_VERSION contains a wildcard (%)
> and matches more than one available version then all bets are off and
> results may be unpredictable. It's up to the user to ensure that
> doesn't happen.
>
> Note that looking at the meta-xilinx recipe it seems that PV is set
> manually and doesn't follow the recipe name, so depending on how you
> set PV in your new recipe, it may not be completely obvious which
> recipe is actually being used?
>
>    https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/blob/master/recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb

Yeah, that turned out to be the problem. The recipe is versioned as
"2017.1" but that is not the version it will actually build.

"bitbake-layers show-recipes arm-trusted-firmware" reveiled the true
versions, as Paul suggested, and that explained the strange choices.

--
Mike Looijmans

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products
Materiaalweg 4, NL-5681 RJ Best
Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
E-mail: mike.looijmans at topicproducts.com
Website: www.topicproducts.com

Visit us at the Space Tech Expo Europe (Stand E-71)