[OE-core] Wind River Continuous Integration project

Konrad Scherer Konrad.Scherer at windriver.com
Fri Oct 20 18:18:34 UTC 2017

One of the common challenges of Yocto development is the setup and
maintenance of a build cluster. If only there was a generic open source
Yocto continuous integration project to make the setup and maintenance
of build clusters easy...

I have a working prototype and it's on GitHub.

https://github.com/WindRiver-OpenSourceLabs/ci-scripts

It is a set of scripts and docker images for building Yocto images using
Jenkins and Docker. There are three main features that I think you will
find interesting:

1) Multi-host builds using Docker Swarm. This provides an easy way to
scale the build cluster from one to tens of machines. Docker Swarm makes
this surprisingly simple.

2) Developer builds. This enables build testing of patches before they
are committed to the main branches. It leverages the WR setup[1]
program and a temporary layerindex to assemble a custom project that
matches the developer's local project.

3) Toaster integration. A simple UI to dynamically expose the Toaster
interface of all in progress builds.

We are deploying this internally at Wind River and I hope that the
oe-core community will be interested in collaborating on its development.

Please have a look and give it a try. All feedback welcome!

[1]: https://github.com/Wind-River/wr-lx-setup

--
Konrad Scherer, MTS, Linux Products Group, Wind River