[OE-core] meta-toolchain / /bin/sh requirement / ldconfig backfill

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Sep 18 22:00:18 UTC 2017

On 9/18/17 4:33 PM, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:

>>> The intention of that commit was only to change the way support for
>>> running ldconfig on the target is controlled (ie changed from an
>>> ad-hoc bitbake variable to a distro config option). It's enabled by
>>> default now, but it was enabled by default before that commit as well.
>>>
>>> Did meta-toolchain work previously? If so, was USE_LDCONFIG being
>>> forced to 0 somewhere?
>>
>> In many distributions, the default was 0.
>
> Right. As mentioned in the OE 2.3 reference manual, if your distro
> previously set USE_LDCONFIG to 0 then you now need to disable the
> "ldconfig" distro config option instead:
>
>   http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.3.1/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#migration-2.3-miscellaneous-changes

The key is that meta-toolchain worked before, and doesn't now.  (In a default
configuration.)  Either someone needs to add a message to meta-toolchain to tell
the user it can't work with ldconfig set, fix it (so the missing dependency is
resolved [optimal solution], or ???

In the past there was a way to tell the package manager to ignore a specific
dependency (such as /bin/sh) and allow the install.  I don't know if there is a
way to do this any longer.  2.2 was the last version I know this worked on.

--Mark