[OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] LAYERSERIES

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Apr 6 22:25:58 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-04-06 at 11:16 -0700, Scott Rifenbark wrote:
> We have this variable appearing in a couple manuals BTW.  If anyone
> has any feedback on what is being said here I can update.

Some small suggested tweaks:

"Using the LAYERSERIES_COMPAT variable makes it clear when a given
layer is unmaintained and untested with new releases of OE-Core. "
->
"Using the LAYERSERIES_COMPAT variable allows the layer maintainer to
indicate which combinations of the layer and OE-Core may be expected to
work. It gives the system a way to detect when a layer has not been
tested with new releases of OE-Core, for example if it had become
unmaintained."

"The OpenEmbedded build system, however, does not produce an error if
the variable is not set."
->
"The OpenEmbedded build system will warn if the variable is not set for
any given layer"