[OE-core] 2.6 planning proposals and meeting

Daniel F. Dickinson cshored at thecshore.com
Fri Apr 20 12:02:39 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-19 12:17 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> [Widely cross posted but please reply to openembedded-core only for
> want of picking somewhere to discuss this]
>
> The next big question facing us is what would we like to do in 2.6?
> What can we do with the resources we have?
>
> I'm proposing to hijack the next monthly Yocto Project technical
> call[1] and dedicate it to 2.6 planning. I'm going to detail some high
> level 'big' ideas blow in this email from a feature development
> perspective. Anyone is welcome to join the call (or reply) and I'm
> happy to answer questions about the ideas below and hear suggestions of
> others.

Hi,

I'm relatively new to OE; I've written a couple of pre-alpha layers to
try some idea, and worked on meta-openembedded, but I've not had a
chance to go in depth on the Yocto documentation, and at the some there
see to be things (based on the lists) that are out of date, or new
things that aren't even mentioned, which makes getting up speed somewhat
difficult.

In any even one thing that I'm wondering if is of interest, is modifying
the build process to build an eSDK which is used to build everything
else.  The advantage of this, in my view, is that it makes it easier to
do things like use GitHub+Travis integration on individual recipes.

The biggest challenge for this type of per-recipe build is dealing with
dependencies, but I think it would be helpful to get rid of 3-day+ world
builds.

At the very least having a 'standard' binary eSDK for external layers to
use for this purpose would helpful in my view.

I'm interested in working on this, but I don't think I've got a good
enough handle on OE for making this a 2.6 goal from me.

Thoughts?

Daniel