[OE-core] adding python modules

bhas_purk bhas_purk at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:51:35 UTC 2018

Hello,
I am new to yocto, and we are using this for an Intel SOC.
I am creating a console-image, and wanted to get python3 in the rootfs.

So I added python3 in the recipe file -
layers/meta-openembedded/meta-oe/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-basic.bb
This gave me python3 in the rootfs and I can run ptyhon3. So that is great!

Now I would like to add some modules to python such that they are built in, and I dont have to do a pip install for the modules.

I see that there is a script file which generates the manifest for all modules will be there.
openembedded-core/scripts/contrib/python/generate-manifest-3.5.py

I would like to edit this file to some python modules, and am wondering how.

For example, one of the existing modules in the script is defined like this-
  m.addPackage( "${PN}-argparse", "Python command line argument parser", "${PN}-core ${PN}-codecs ${PN}-textutils",
    "argparse.*" )

So my question is, for the modules I would like to add, how do I know the dependencies etc? And more importantly, is this the right way to add modules to python3 in the rootfs.

Thank you
Bhaskar