[OE-core] Mis-generation of shell script (run.do_install)?

Jason Andryuk jandryuk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 13:42:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

Has anyone ever seen a generated shell script missing functions?

I have an OpenXT/OpenEmbedded setup where I had run many successful
builds.  I made a change and then re-ran the build - it failed in
binutil's do_install with autotools_do_install command not found.

core2-64-oe-linux/binutils/2.28-r0/temp/run.do_install.11776: line
124: autotools_do_install: command not found

Sure enough, autotools_do_install is not in run.do_install.

I had not changed binutils or any relevant variable, as far as I can
tell.  If I run with '-e' I see the full autotools_do_install
function in the output.  For some reason, the generated script wasn't
including autotools_do_install.

I tried binutils -c cleansstate, but that didn't work.  I tried
pruning the sstate-cache dir, but that didn't work.  I tried deleting
tmp-glibc and sstate-cache, but it had the same error when I rebuilt.

Modifying binutils do_install by adding a comment and `true` lets it builds.

I saw something similar one other time where the generated script was
missing a function.  I can't recall the details, but it was a
different package and MACHINE.

Any suggestions on debugging this?

Thanks,
Jason