[OE-core] Adding a "tiny" DISTRO_FEATURE and having packages build smaller

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Feb 1 13:54:35 UTC 2018

On 1 February 2018 at 13:44, Daniel F. Dickinson <cshored at thecshore.com>
wrote:

> I guess the question is would it be useful to have a flag that chooses
> a 'typical' tinyness but can be overridden (I'm think here of avoiding
> having to specify huge numbers of PACKAGECONFIGs for a typical tiny case,
> when really you want most of the 'normal' tinyness with some
> tweaks.  What I'm think is that "tiny" really should just change the
> defaults for PACKAGECONFIG etc, but like the defaults can be easily
> overridden.

Well in the idiomatic way the default would be "all the things are on", so
doing a "tiny" build would be just setting PACKAGECONFIG="".

When we're dealing with tiny configurations you can't really say "and this
is what people will want", because that's precisely the problem: you don't
know what someone else will want.

Ross