[OE-core] Issues with meson in SDK with cross-file

Martin Kelly mkelly at xevo.com
Tue Jan 9 18:17:59 UTC 2018

On 01/09/2018 02:06 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan
> <nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If we want to setup a cross-file to use these arguments, we would have to
>>> generate the cross-file on-the-fly (not good).
>>
>> Out of interest, why is that not good? That is precisely what Gentoo
>> does and it has to solve the same problems here that Yocto is facing.
>>

> To expand on this, the reason why meson requires a cross file for
> cross-compilation is because we allow build files to use both native
> and cross compilers within the same build. This is quite useful when
> you want to build a tool (or generator) as part of the project that
> you then use to build/generate other things that are used in the cross
> build.

To be clear, I think the cross-file is extremely important for correct
cross-compilation, and I'm fully sold on its benefits. I believe OE sets
CC, CXX, LD not because it's the best way to do cross compilation but
because it needs to support all possible tools, including straight
Makefiles with no wrappers.