[OE-core] [RFC] How to deal allarch packages in dependency chain for multilib rootfs?

Kang Kai Kai.Kang at windriver.com
Mon Jul 23 14:09:57 UTC 2018

On 2018年07月18日 04:21, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 7/2/18 3:50 AM, Kang Kai wrote:

>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Thanks for your detailed reply.
>>
>>> With -RPM-, and using names that do not include 'lib32' or other multilib
>>> prefixes.  RPM doesn't care 'who' provides openssl, as long as someone provides
>>> openssl.  There is a series of weights added to the available providers of
> [...]
> you are concerned with.)

>>> This really isn't the right way to do it, because then you end up with two
>>> packages with identical content -- and you then need to ensure that the internal
>>> dependencies all 'match'.
>>>
>>> So you've added another layer where you need to ensure that the multilib
>>> rdepends are 'specified' and managed properly.  [Yes this can be handled by OE
>>> automaticallly], but it doubles the size of the package respository (for no-arch
>>> packages), as well as any field upgrades BOTH have to be upgraded together or
>>> you will get an error.
>> Got it.

>>> -today- it should be depending on 'openssl', and all variants of openssl SHOULD
>>> be calling themselves/providing 'openssl'.  (The other components of the
>>> dependency system will ensure the right 32-bit/64-bit version is selected if
>>> needed.)
>>>
>>> And unless the image creator is explicit in their check they may end up with
>>> BOTH the 32-bit and 64-bit versions...

>>> And this is creating problems.  This is why the priority system (order for
>>> dependencies) was put into place originally.  So it would start at the highest
>>> priority components and work it's way until it found the right set of matches.
>>>
>>> With DNF and RPM(4), things have changed..  I'm not sure how the priorities are
>>> defined in this system -- but really each arch type should be it's own
>>> repository in DNF.. and the priorities for each should be ordered to match the
>>> user's preferred order for package installation.  (The default behavior is fine
>>> for most users, but a way to say -- no really I want 32-bit installed first.. is
>>> needed for the multilib image cases..)
>> Thanks. I'll figure out the priority in DNF and RPM(4).
>>
>>> The reality though for most multilib users is they have one of two use-cases:
>>>
>>> 1) 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userspace (and possibly a 'few' 64-bit binaries)
>>>
>>> 2) 64-bit kernel, 64-bit userspace... They want a small number of libraries from
>>> the multilib installed into their main system
>>>
>>> It's the second case where we often get into problems, because the system is
>>> really intended for that -- where you would say I expect BOTH openssl 32-bit and
>>> 64-bit installed, but many of our users are trying to do I want only the openssl
>>> installed for the executables I need.  (reasonable request, just not exactly
>>> what RPM was intended to be doing.)

>>> Yes, this covers the use case #1 better then anything else we have at this point.

>>> So I can sum this up to:
>>>
>>> Use case 1.. kernel and primary userspace library type don't match is
>>> problematic, but not used by a lot of people (AFAIK).
>> I am sorry that it is the Use case 1 (64-bit kernel, 32-bit userspace)
>> that we want to solve. Because both lib32 (imported by other lib32
>> packages) and
>> 64bits (imported by noarch pacakge) packages such as perl may be
>> installed to image at same time , it causes some runtime failures such

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

> There should -never- be a situation with a 32-bit and 64-bit (or any multilib)
> 'allarch' package changes.  If it does, it's simply NOT allarch.  Allarch means
> there are no architecture dependencies in that package.  If there are -any-, the
> thing should be properly declared to a specific arch, even if it only contains
> configuration files.

For allarch packages such as ca-certificates, I believe that it only
needs an 'openssl' and no matter whether lib64-openssl or lib32-openssl
exists.
So in my WIP patch, I make allarch package only depends on a virtual
'noarch-foo' and both lib64-foo and lib32-foo provide foo.
And during do rootfs, according to image type(whether core-image-sato or
lib32-core-image-sato) to install proper provider.

> Maybe the right answer is to add a QA step that verifies all 'allarch' versions
> are the same..  (I'm not exactly sure how you would do this, try to build all
> 'multilib' variants of any specific allarch and verify they didn't change perhaps?)
>
>> I once thought to solve the dependency issue in package libsolv. The
>> original thought is to pass a environment variable to identify whether
>> build a lib32 image.
>> When resolve the dependencies of noarch package, expand the dependencies
>> according the environment variable. But it seems libsolv treats "all
>> strings and
>> relations as unique 32-bit numbers". So it seems it doesn't work this way.
> Ya, I don't think fixing it in the solver is the right answer.   Whatever the
> solution, it has to be generic to work for all of the packaging formats.
>
> The basic rules, as I understand them, are:
>
> 1) allarch/noarch -- must be -identical- across all architectures [with the same
> distro configuration]
> 2) recipes/packages that require allarch must not expect any architecture
> dependent behavior, including path names.  (lib vs lib64, etc)

Yes. Currently the problem is to resolve dependency of allarch packages.
And will not affect packages which depends on allarch packages.

Regards,
Kai

--
Regards,