[OE-core] Is a dependency on hostperl-runtime-native actually useful?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Jul 30 22:23:29 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-07-30 at 14:44 -0700, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> Currently the openssl 1.0 recipe defines a dependency on
> hostperl-runtime-native and the openssl 1.1 recipe does not. Both run
> "perl ./Configure ..." as part of do_configure().
>
> Since hostperl-runtime-native is included in ASSUME_PROVIDED, is it
> really useful for the openssl 1.0 recipe to list it in DEPENDS?
>
> ie is the openssl 1.0 recipe being unnecessarily complex or is the
> openssl 1.1 recipe being too simplistic?

It is useful for things to list their dependencies and we did have an
effort to actually list things out so we know ASSUME_PROVIDED is
correct. This means we can spot areas we might be able to trim back
dependencies (amongst other reasons).

With the introduction of HOSTTOOLS, its perhaps less needed than it was
but in principle it is still useful to know which things need a given
item, particularly where its more unusual. I'd still be interested in
trying to cut back HOSTTOOLS a bit more.

The 1.1 recipe was pretty heavily cut back, probably too much so based
on some of the patches we've been getting...