[OE-core] Subject: Yocto Project Status WW10’18

Jordan, Robin L robin.l.jordan at intel.com
Mon Mar 5 16:03:52 UTC 2018

Subject: Yocto Project Status WW10’18

Current Dev Position: YP 2.5 M3 final close out.
Next Deadline: YP 2.5 M3 cut off was 2/19/18
*** FEATURE FREEZE for 2.5 has passed ***

SWAT team rotation: Rebecca -> Cal on March 9, 2018
SWAT team rotation: Cal -> Armin on March 16, 2018
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

  *   YP 2.5 M2 was released February 27.
     *   This milestone release includes CVE fixes and 60 recipe upgrades.  It incorporates security fixes with upgrades to gcc and kernels to all current stable versions.  Headline changes include reproducibility improvements, gettext build performance, image generation, and cmake using Ninja by default.  This release added gobject-introspection tests to testimage, integrated support for the Meson build system, Python build/packaging refactoring, and redesigned postinstall script handling.
  *   YP 2.2.3 was released February 27.
     *   A total of 97 CVE fixes and other fixes to work with GCC 7 on newer host OSs.
     *   We have committed to a 2.2.4 release to integrate all remaining security fixes.
  *   YP 2.4.2 RC2 came out of QA today (report at https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/WW10_-_2018-03-05-_Full_Test_Cycle_-_2.4.2_rc2)

  *   YP 2.5 M3 is in final feature freeze. Reviewing last week’s required features:
     *   2.27 glibc upgrade has been merged. This meant making SDK changes so they’re all ~50M larger now thanks to the need to ship locales. However the same underlying code could be reused to generate locale archives in images, which will make those smaller.
     *   kernel-devsrc size reduction: the blocking issue has been resolved so waiting for an updated patch.
     *   pseudo upgrade has been merged which should solve many issues, and Peter is investigating the long-standing host contamination issue.
     *   Still need to resolve the multilib SDK patch series.
     *   Package feed filtering has been merged.
     *   Image EFI configuration rework under review now.
  *   Performance metrics indicate that a recent merge has caused a slowdown in build times.  It is suspected that the glibc upgrade is the cause of this although help would be appreciated to verify this.
  *   Flood of last-minute upgrades continuing to be reviewed and merged if low-impact.
  *   Go upgrade/improvements are under review, possibly we’ll ship both Go 1.9.4 and 1.10 in 2.5 but do plan to drop 1.9.4 from master as soon as 1.10 doesn’t present compatibility problems.
  *   We’re continuing to work on the autobuilder changes and for various reasons (inc. changes in people).  We would be in much better shape to switch to the new codebase before release, rather than waiting until early 2.6 to pick this work up again by which time we’d have lost people and context. If we are to switch, we need to build M3 with the new infrastructure. We plan to make this switch for M3.

Planned upcoming dot releases:
YP 2.3.4 (Pyro) will be built when we figure out gcc backports.
YP 2.2.4 (Morty) will be built when we figure out gcc backports.
YP 2.4.3 (Roko) is planned for post YP 2.5.

Key YP 2.5 Dates are:
YP 2.5 M3 is in feature freeze.  See status above.
YP 2.5 M3 was scheduled for release 3/2/18
YP 2.5 M4 cut off of 4/2/18
YP 2.5 M4 release of 4/27/18

Tracking Metrics:
            WDD 2663 (last week 2646)
(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.5_Status
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Schedule
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Features

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]