[OE-core] Yocto Project Status WW11’18

Jordan, Robin L robin.l.jordan at intel.com
Mon Mar 12 15:02:20 UTC 2018

Current Dev Position: YP 2.5 M3 final close out.

Next Deadline: YP 2.5 M3 cut off was 2/19/18

*** FEATURE FREEZE for 2.5 has passed ***

SWAT lead is currently Cal.

SWAT team rotation: Cal -> Armin on March 16, 2018

SWAT team rotation: Armin -> Ross on March 23, 2018

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

  *   The Embedded Linux Conference is in Portland this week!
  *   YP 2.4.2 RC2 QA report is being discussed and is expected to be released this week. (https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/WW10_-_2018-03-05-_Full_Test_Cycle_-_2.4.2_rc2).
  *   We are changing the planning process and Milestone tracking in Bugzilla.  More details can be found here:  https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2018-March/040226.html
  *   A new uninative release was made (1.8) because distributions are moving to glibc 2.27 and this broke the old uninative. People using uninative should upgrade to this.
  *   GCC 6.x with the latest security fixes is currently in rocko/pyro/morty -next thanks to Martin and Juro. They are undergoing autobuilder testing now but we hope they’ll be merged soon.

  *   Performance metrics indicate that a recent merge has caused a slowdown in build times.  It is suspected that the glibc upgrade is the cause of this although help would be appreciated to verify and possibly mitigate this.
  *   Flood of last-minute upgrades continuing to be reviewed and merged if high reward or low impact.
  *   Go upgrade/improvements were merged.  For 2.5 we will be shipping both 1.9.4 and 1.10, but plan to drop 1.9.x from master once 1.10 doesn’t present compatibility problems.
  *   EFI image refactoring patches were merged. The gist of these are that /boot is now under package manager control instead of injected at image creation.
  *   A number of patch refresh patches were merged. These are to solve problems with patches applied with “fuzz”, where patch will note that the context isn’t correct anymore but the differences are hopefully small enough to apply anyway.  Sometimes this is useful (other changes causing the target lines to move), sometimes it’s actively harmful (patch applied incorrectly, silently breaking behaviour). We hope to warn when fuzz is detected during the 2.6 cycle so these patches are removing fuzz from oe-core.  Expect a mail to the lists soon explaining how to find and remove fuzz.
  *   We are continuing to work on the autobuilder changes and for various reasons (inc. changes in people).  We would be in much better shape to switch to the new codebase before release, rather than waiting until early 2.6 to pick this work up again by which time we would have lost people and context. If we are to switch, we need to build M3 with the new infrastructure. We plan to make this switch for M3.

Planned upcoming dot releases:

YP 2.3.4 (Pyro) will be built when GCC backports are merged.

YP 2.2.4 (Morty) will be built when GCC backports are merged.

YP 2.4.3 (Roko) is planned for post YP 2.5.

Key YP 2.5 Dates are:

YP 2.5 M3 is in feature freeze.  See status above.

YP 2.5 M3 was scheduled for release 3/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 cut off of 4/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 release of 4/27/18

Tracking Metrics:

            WDD 2673 (last week 2663)

(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.5_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Features

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]

Robin Jordan
Yocto Project Program Manager