[OE-core] Yocto Project Status WW12’18

Jordan, Robin L robin.l.jordan at intel.com
Mon Mar 19 15:45:27 UTC 2018

Current Dev Position: YP 2.5 M3 final close out.

Next Deadline: YP 2.5 M3 cut off was 2/19/18

*** FEATURE FREEZE for 2.5 has passed ***

SWAT lead is currently Ross.

SWAT team rotation: Armin -> Ross on March 23, 2018

SWAT team rotation: Ross -> Juro on March 30, 2018

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

  *   YP 2.4.2 was released: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2018-March/040282.html
  *   Meta-intel 8.1 was released: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-intel/2018-March/005261.html
  *   We’ve realised we were going to run into problems with distros adopting glibc 2.27, if not now, during the next release cycle. We therefore decided to head off this problem and try and fix the issues now. Unfortunately, due to locale changes in 2.27, it also breaks our eSDK in the current and all previous releases. We have fixes in master for this (thanks Ross!) and backports ready for rocko and pyro in the -next branches. Morty is proving harder to fix. We believe it is likely better to fix these issue even if the changes are invasive (they are at least mostly contained to the SDKs).

  *   The gcc 6.x changes were merged into rocko/pyro/morty which means point releases are now unblocked by that issue.
  *   The performance issue reported last week was tracked down to a kernel change which was reverted.
  *   The new buildbot autobuilder instance is working with basic functionality. We therefore plan to run the M3 release build on that infrastructure with a view to using it for the main 2.5 release. It was great to be able to report an issue upstream and be using their latest code! The autobuilder functionality is improved in at least two significant ways already which benefit the maintainers.
  *   We really do need to roll M3 now, our current plan is to test the final changes in mut and then run M3 with this. It is not a perfect set of features, many things simply haven’t made it in as the people doing review are overloaded. We’re too far past the freeze deadline to realistically make any further progress with this though.
  *   ELC was productive and there was a lot of good discussion between the people there about many different things. In particular we have some ideas for improving the project’s build infrastructure to allow more builds including other layers. More info will follow as we build the plans to make that happen.

Planned upcoming dot releases:

YP 2.3.4 (Pyro) will be built after 2.5 M3

YP 2.2.4 (Morty) will be built after 2.5 M3 once the glibc 2.27 issue is fixed

YP 2.4.3 (Rocko) is planned for post YP 2.5.

Key YP 2.5 Dates are:

YP 2.5 M3 is in feature freeze.  See status above.

YP 2.5 M3 was scheduled for release 3/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 cut off of 4/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 release of 4/27/18

Tracking Metrics:

            WDD 2673 (last week 2673)

(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.5_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Features

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]

Robin Jordan

Yocto Project Program Manager