[OE-core] pseudo: host user contamination

Seebs seebs at seebs.net
Tue Mar 27 02:07:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:34:10 -0700
Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I remain interested in why the glibc implementation does all these
> > weird things on some architectures if none of those things matter.
>
> Which glibc implementation? I'll take a look.

syscall(2) for various architectures, which is actually implementing
all this fancy ABI stuff. If that doesn't matter, why's it there?

I think we may be talking past each other. I'm not looking for "I tried
this once on one architecture and it worked." I'm looking for a good
enough understanding of *why* all these things are in the man page, and
when they might matter, that I can reasonably predict whether this will
work on lots of other platforms, and continue to work in the future.

Pseudo is already way off in the weeds, but it mostly works, and the
reason it mostly works is that I try to find out why things are the way
they are rather than disregarding them. (And I'm thinking I should
possibly add an is-syscall flag to wrappers, and then have those
wrappers check returns and recreate the success/fail state right before
actually returning.)

-s