[OE-core] Question about how to get package included in SDK

Måns Zigher mans.zigher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:25:05 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have package that require protobuf and the compiler protoc. I have
included the following

DEPENDS += " protobuf protobuf-native"

and

RDEPENDS_${PN} += " protobuf"

The build works as intended the problem now is that the protoc is not
included in the SDK. In the Yocto ref manual I found the following
description for TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK

"This variable lists packages the OpenEmbedded build system uses when
building an SDK, which contains a cross-development environment. The
packages specified by this variable are part of the toolchain set that runs
on the SDKMACHINE
<https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-SDKMACHINE>,
and each package should usually have the prefix nativesdk-."

So I have also in by image bb-file included the following

TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK += " nativesdk-protobuf"

The build passed without any errors but the protoc is still not included in
the native sdk. It  is form some reason included in the target part. I
would really appreciate if you could en-light me on this topic on how to
include a package in the sdk.

BR
Mans Zigher