[OE-core] GCC 9 Drops Support For Older ARM Microarchitecture Versions

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat May 19 18:07:55 UTC 2018

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org> wrote:
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GCC-9-Dropping-Older-ARM
>
> Particularly, ARMv5 and ARMv5E are being dropped (but T and TE variants
> remain)
>
> Are there any concerns from OE community perspective?

>From yocto project perspctive qemuarm which is emulating arm926ejs
with default tune armv5te is used.
so we are right at the trailing edge and wont be affected. However, I
know there were OE users who had
devices using other armv5 or v4 variants

I have been suggesting to switch qemuarm to use armv7 based board
emulator for few years now.
may be this is the time to make that call for next YP release.

> At least for binutils we needed this patch even for armv5te:
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/binutils/binutils/0007-Add-the-armv5e-architecture-to-binutils.patch

this patch technically required to support one of OEs available tune
values. namely armv5e, we should be
able to drop it.