[OE-core] question: Use systemd as the default initialization manager

Andrea Galbusera gizero at gmail.com
Thu May 24 05:22:32 UTC 2018

Hi!

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 7:06 AM, Zheng, Ruoqin
<zhengrq.fnst at cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> By default, the Yocto Project uses SysVinit as the initialization manager.
> However, systemd is used by many distributions and it's supported in Yocto.
>
> Why didn't use systemd as the default initialization manager?

As you mentioned, the Yocto Project does support building and
configuring systems with either of the two init frameworks. Poky,
which is the reference distribution that comes with Yocto, uses
SysVinit by default. There's nothing bad with systemd support in
Yocto. It perfectly works and many of us are successfully building
their custom distributions (or simply Poky derivatives) with systemd.
Just follow instructions at [1] to select your preferred init system.

I'm not aware of any plan to switch default init system for Poky to
systemd. This probably more for historical than technical reasons as
of today.

[1] https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#selecting-an-initialization-manager