[OE-core] gcc-runtime: Remove -mcpu=cortex-a7 when building for -march=armv7ve

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed May 30 02:06:56 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 12:13 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This change looks wrong (or at least incomplete and lacking a decent
>>> explanation):
>>
>> why do you think it is wrong ? I would be happy to make the
>> explanation more decent
>> if you have ideas please share.
>
> I would be happy to try... if I had any idea why you think you need it!
>
> What causes the conflict in flags and why hasn't it been seen before?
> Why do you only need to fix Cortex A7 and not when building for other
> armv7ve cores?

gcc-runtime is a bit special where it gets itself configured when
building cross compiler
but then we tame it to re-target itself for target using some shims
e.g. setting generic
arch values so it can plug itself amicably when we build gcc for
target and use it ondevice
because it needs to rely on right combination of options, and gcc for
target is also made
to target more common ISAs via doing things like below.

EXTRA_OECONF_append_armv7ve = " --with-arch=armv7-a"

these options cause additional march values to be added.

If you are interested. Plug this patch out and use gcc8 patches I have
floating around
and you can see whats going on.

I am also interested in finding a solution where we do not need this patch.