[OE-core] xserver-xorg.inc and sysconfdir setting

Alan Kozlay alan.kozlay at ves-solutions.com
Fri Apr 12 13:22:47 UTC 2019

Maintainers,

I needed Xorg to run as non-root from a non-console user on a machine which
needed the intel chipset drivers.

Eventually, I made a bbappend for xserver-xorg and added
"--enable-suid-wrapper" to EXTRA_OECONF.

This was supposed to allow me to provide an /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config in
which I could let Xorg know that the user is not a "console" user (not a
logged-in user).  But my Xwrapper.config was ignored.

Upon strace of Xorg, I found that Xorg was looking for the existence of
such a config file in /etc/X11/X11/Xwrapper.config.  This is because the
xserver-xorg.inc file adds "--sysconfdir=/etc/X11" to EXTRA_OECONF.

Xorg source code already appends "/X11/" to ${sysconfdir} when looking for
this file.
I wonder what other files Xorg might be not finding because of that setting.
I wonder why sysconfdir was set, at all.

-Alan