[OE-core] Automatic prebuilt management

Loic Poulain loic.poulain at linaro.org
Mon Aug 5 16:06:03 UTC 2019

Hello,

Say a company works with an OE internal tree, with open-source and
closed-source packages. The company wants to release the tree so that its
customers can fully customize the images/distro. The closed sources being
only available internally, the company has to generate and handle prebuilt
binaries for proprietary packages. Ideally, with a unified public/internal
OE tree (same recipes for internal/public build).

This question is actually similar to an older thread:
https://marc.info/?l=openembedded-core&m=146779329804683

I started to work on this and added a 'generate-prebuilt' class which
generates a tarball of ${D} in deploy/prebuilts after do_install task.
Symmetrically, It's also possible to create an 'install-prebuilt' class
which bypasses do_fetch, do_unpack, ..., do_install with noexec flag and
instead uncompresses a previously generated prebuilt tarball into ${D} and
continue normally. But I would like something smarter, e.g. first trying to
check if the SRC_URI is available, if not switching on using the prebuilt
package if available (e.g. in a DIR_PREBUILT)...

Before going further is there already an existing solution for that? do you
have any recommendation on the easier/best way to achieve this?

Regards,
Loic