[OE-core] boost 1.69 -> 1.71 upgrade for 3.0?

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 19:52:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 21:20, Randy MacLeod <randy.macleod at windriver.com>
wrote:

> I'm checking if you have done any work on upgrading the
> boost recipe? Trevor will work on it if you haven't started.
> He's relatively new to YP so depending on how easy the
> update is he might bail or need help or take a while.

I made a preliminary update to 1.70, but I had to hold it back because
there is a significant regression in do_install(). Bjam spins the CPU at
100% for many minutes, while making glacial progress with the installation.
I couldn't figure out what is it doing, and so decided to wait and see if
things get better with 1.71 (also all the major desktop distros are at
various older versions still, so the upstream is probably oblivious to the
problem).

The patch is here, so you can first check if you see the same problem, and
then if 1.71 helps:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=akanavin/package-version-updates-later&id=39bcdb4184a9108561249d5a89b69a9250ff686d

Alex