[OE-core] Conflict of systemd and sysvinit

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Tue Aug 27 18:23:17 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 12:22:30PM -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 8/19/19 11:49 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> >> If they are both enabled what is the expected functionality of the system?
> >> (which is init, etc...)
> >
> > The image needs to pick the desired ones.
>
> Ok.. so build both packages.. and then come install time, one or the other must
> be in the PACKAGE_INSTALL (however the image chooses to do this), and the other
> should NOT be included.
>
> This could be problematic, as I've seen recipes build with systemd dependencies
> in them.  (Both initscripts as well as system health monitoring and such..  That
> would conflict with a sysvinit [or systemd] if configured for the other.)
> Someone may need to review dependencies in the system looking for things that
> depend on systemd... or have a systemd/sysvinit 'conflict' of some kind.  (I've
> not attempted such an audit before.)

Dependencies on libsystemd are not a problem in sysvinit systems,
assuming there is proper runtime fallback code.
Shipping both an init script and a systemd unit file is also not a problem.

In Debian you can just switch the init system and reboot and it works,
with all the other binary packages unchanged.

> --Mark

cu
Adrian

BTW: There are problems like how to make GNOME happy without systemd,
     and there is a lack of people in Debian working actively on the
     sysvinit side. But on a high level the problems you were worried
     about are "works in Debian".